Yesterday, I had the pleasure of speaking at the National Apartment Association’s Student Housing Conference in Chicago, IL, to discuss Social Media Wins Anyone Can Manage alongside 30 Lines Founder Mike Whaling, Modern Message Founder John Hinckley, and Maureen Lannon, Senior Vice President of Marketing at Pierce Education Properties. Here are a few simple takeaways that you can implement today.
- Facebook is my favorite social media platform for reaching and engaging with students. Facebook gets twice the love from me because their Business Manager allows us to advertise on Instagram simultaneously.
- If you have to choose between a picture ad and a video ad on Facebook, go with video. Video ads have shown to spark more conversation between students than picture ads.
- Snapchat geofilters are a fun new way to get your brand in front of thousands of potential customers for a small price. They are most successful when paired with popular events and when placed in locations where your audience is most likely to use them.
- If you want to keep up with what’s trending for your customers, browse Instagram. Use hashtags to find your customers, then scroll their feeds to see what they’re talking about, what events they’re attending, what outfits are trending, etc.
- Twitter is another great platform for listening to your customers’ conversations. When you know what’s important to your customers, you can create content that speaks to them.
- Whichever social media platforms you decide to use, be sure that your content is consistent across all of them. A strong brand is a consistent brand, and a consistent brand is a trusted brand.